Click Here for Free Phone Consultation
Slip and Fall Accident Injury Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents are quite common in Ontario. Whether it is in a drug store, liquor store, shopping in a mall, gas station, walking in a hospital or a city sidewalk, grocery shopping or at the airport, you are always prone to the risk of slipping and falling due to lack of safety procedures and poor maintenance. The additional risk that Ontarians face each winter is the snow/ice which can cause serious injuries to persons slipping and falling due to the hazard which is created when snow melts and is left unnoticed by cleaning staff or management.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER A SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT?
- Make sure you immediately report the accident to the property owner/manager and get a copy of the incident report and the business card of the person who took down the report;
- Get an ambulance on the scene if you have suffered injuries that prevent you from standing up on your own;
- Get someone to take pictures of the area where you fell from different angles. This is very important especially in cases which involve snow and icy conditions as conditions may change very quickly;
- Write down the names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of all witnesses that were present at the scene of the accident. This is very important as insurance companies often use the defense that the accident did not occur or that the accident did not happen as the victim says it did;
- Keep the pair of shoes that you wore on the day of the slip and fall accident as the insurance adjuster often times will inspect the shoes and take photos of it;
- If you have been transported to the hospital by ambulance or by a friend please make sure that you correctly and accurately describe how the slip and fall accident occurred to the nurse or treating doctor and that you read your report and make any corrections, if any, before you leave the hospital. The same should apply when you visit your family doctor or a walk in clinic.
- If you fell on city or government property you should call us immediately as you are required to give written notice of your intended claim within a short period of time following the accident. This will include giving additional information such as the date and time of the accident, how did it happen, the exact location of the accident and the nature of you injuries. It is important that a lawyer prepare this notice on your behalf to avoid your claim being denied for lack of compliance with statutory requirements.
If you or anyone you know has been injured as a result of a slip and fall accident please contact us for a free consultation with one of our Injury Lawyers.